Little White School Museum Joins Regional Museum Association
May 04, 2014 01:35PM ● Published by Steven Jack
KDRMA is an alliance of more than 60 museums and nature centers in the Fox and DuPage valleys. The organization serves its members through collaborative programming, promotion, and professional development and networking.
At present, the Little White School Museum is the only member not located in either Kane or DuPage counties.
Member museums offer a variety of interactive experiences whether your interest is history, science, the arts, nature, or just about anything else.
The Little White School Museum is a restored former Methodist Episcopal church and Oswego school building. Built as a M.E. church in 1850, the building was used for services until the congregation dissolved in 1913. The Oswego School District purchased the building in 1915 using it as a school for first through third grades.
The building closed briefly but was reopened for use as junior high classroom space in 1960. The last classes were held in the building in 1964. The Oswegoland Heritage Association began restoration work on the building in 1977, opening their community museum in 1983. Restoration and renovation work was completed in 2002.
Today, the building houses the community museum with exhibits recounting the history of the Oswegoland area and an extensive archival collection, and is the meeting site for several community civic groups.
A cooperative project between the Oswegoland Heritage Association and the Oswegoland Park District, the museum is open Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sundays, noon to 4 p.m. The archives and research area is open Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturdays, 9 a.m. to noon. Admission is free.
For more about KDRMA, visit their web site at www.KDRMA.org. For more information on the Little White School Museum, visit their web page at www.littlewhiteschoolmuseum.org, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 630-554-2999.
Provided by the Oswegoland Heritage Association