OEHS Evacuated After Sprinkler Activated
May 18, 2015 10:23AM ● Published by Steven Jack
A Bunsen burner in a science classroom was to blame for the evacuation of Oswego East High School early Monday morning.
According to Dan Schiradelly, Oswego Fire Protection District Battalion Chief, the flame from a burner activated the sprinkler head at about 8 a.m. According to reports and a photo sent to Only Oswego, flames as high as three to four feet off of a classroom table were coming from the area near the burner. The flame was the result of an experiment involving alcohol, the fire department later reported.
Schiradelly said the sprinkler was turned off by the time the Fire Department arrived and firefighters aided the school in resetting its alarm.
Schiradelly said there was no evidence that flames spread beyond the area near the burner.
“Damage was minimal. Most of it was cleaned up by the time we left,” Schiradelly said. “I’m sure they’ll probably back in there by the end of the day.”
No injuries were reported, and students were back in class by 9 a.m., according to a message sent to parents from District 308. No injuries were reported.