Police Presence to Continue at Oswego Elementary School Wednesday
May 26, 2015 06:42PM ● Published by Steven Jack
Photo courtesy of School District 308
After a hacked email threat to “shoot up” a District 308 school surfaced over the Memorial Day holiday, Oswego Police will continue to keep a presence at Southbury Elementary Wednesday.
“Today was a safe and secure day for all our students and staff,” said a message on the district’s Facebook page. “Like today, tomorrow there will be police presence at the school during our arrival and dismissal times. Furthermore, we will continue to be vigilant in the building by having all exterior doors locked (as is the typical protocol) as well as ensuring that all visitors to the building are signed in using our Raptor system.”
The move comes amid concerns from parents surrounding the threat, which police have said they believe to be the work of an overseas hacker targeting a family that lives in the Southbury subdivision.
The family has previously been the target of hackers who have posted their personal information on the Twitter account of Tesla Motor Co. and its founder Elon Musk. The adult son of the family works in the technology field as a so-called “white-hat hacker” who helps companies discover online security vulnerabilities.
The threat, which was sent from the mother's email account, was distributed Sunday morning to about 300 residents on a Southbury Subdivision email list.
About 25 Southbury Subdivision parents voiced their concerns to police at a Monday afternoon meeting at the community clubhouse that lasted about 90 minutes. Southbury parents living outside the subdivision who contacted Only Oswego Tuesday questioned why all school parents weren’t invited to a community meeting regarding the threat.
According to officials, Monday's meeting was not organized by the School District 308. Police Chief Jeff Burgner said the meeting was called by residents of the subdivision and a sergeant attended at their request.
“My goal is to make sure parents are comfortable sending their children to school, and we were happy to attend the meeting,” Burgner said.
When asked if police would continue their presence at the school on the last day Thursday, Burgner said that will depend on whether the school district makes the request.
Many parents have taken to social media to say they will continue to keep their children home from school through the end of the year. According to district spokesman Brian Graves, 234 of 618 Southbury students were absent Tuesday.