Oswego Fireworks Display Set for This Week
Jun 30, 2015 11:53AM ● Published by Steven Jack
The village of Oswego will celebrate Independence Day with its annual fireworks show starting at 9:30 p.m. Friday, July 3, at Prairie Point Park.
Families are encouraged to view the show from Prairie Point Park, PraireFest Park or numerous other locations around the village, including Traughber Junior High School, Eastview Elementary, Prairie Point Elementary and the parking lots of Oswego High School.
The Oswego Police Department will again limit parking and travel routes prior to and immediately following the fireworks. Handicap parking will be made available in the school district’s Bus Transportation lot on Plank Road.
Temporary ‘no parking’ signs will be posted at the following locations:
- Rt. 71 between Rt. 34 & Forest Avenue
- Franklin Street (fire hydrant side only)
- Wilmette & Calumet Street
- Plainfield Road between Rt. 71 & Linden Drive
- Grove Road between Plainfield Road & Arboretum Way
Regulatory ‘no parking’ signs are posted on both sides of Stonehill Road, Theodore Drive, Templeton Drive and Plank Road. Both temporary and regulatory ‘no parking’ signs will be strictly enforced. As a reminder, parking on private property is prohibited unless you have prior permission from the land owner.
To alleviate traffic congestion, traffic patterns will be altered at several intersections throughout the area and at school parking lot exits. The areas affected by these changes include:
- Both parking lots of the Oswego High School and Eastview Elementary will only be allowed to travel northbound on Rt. 71 (If they are open due to construction).
- Motorists traveling east on Franklin Street will only be allowed to turn southbound onto Rt. 71
- Traffic will not be allowed to travel westbound Washington Street from Rt. 71 or Plainfield Rd.
- Motorists exiting Stonehill Road onto Wolf’s Crossing Road will be required to turn eastbound onto Wolf’s Crossing only
- Motorists exiting Stonehill Road onto Woolley Road will be required to turn eastbound onto Woolley Road
- Westbound traffic on Plainfield Road will be required to travel only southbound on Rt. 71
- Motorists exiting onto Woolley Road from the Traughber Junior High School lot will only be allowed to travel northbound on Colchester Drive or eastbound on Woolley Road
Oswego Police Officers, Community Service Officers, and Oswego Police Explorers will be located at intersections most affected by the increase in traffic and will assist with traffic control in these areas.
In an effort to reduce traffic congestion, all people driving to the event are asked to carpool. You are also asked to remain patient while traffic is clearing. Traffic exit/entrance points adjacent to Route 71 are subject to change at the last minute pending any closed roadways due to the Route 71 expansion project.
Trustees not swayed by emails and negative online feedback over earlier decision. Read More »