Historic Oswego Home Hits the Market
Jul 30, 2015 09:15PM ● Published by Steven Jack
Photos courtesy of Zillow.com listing.
Gallery: 56 JACKSON ST. [22 Images] Click any image to expand.
The Greek-revival home at 56 Jackson St. was built in 1850 and was home to Oswego's first Village Board President John M. Crothers. Known as the Crothers-Jolly-Jeneson-Denny House, it was given Oswego Landmark Status in 2004. The home sits directly across the street from another Oswego Landmark — The Little White School Museum.
It was built with high-quality limestone quarried from Joliet, and remained with descendants of the Crothers until 1991, according to information from the Oswego Historic Preservation Commission. The home is currently being listed by Leslie Prevett with Miscella Real Estate of Geneva for $389,000.
"The home has been recognized both for its architecture and as an excellent example of the Greek Revival style, as well as for its historic associations with (the) Crothers," according to the Commission.
The home has undergone many changes over the years, especially between 1991 and 2000 when a two-story addition, including living/bedroom space and a new one-story two-car garage was added, the commission said.
In more recent years, the home has been updated with a new furnace and air in 2013, rebuilt porch in 2014 and new exterior paint in 2015, according to the listing. Updates have also been made to the plumbing, electrical and flooring.
FLIP THROUGH THE ABOVE SLIDESHOW TO TAKE A TOUR OF THIS ONE-OF-A-KIND OSWEGO HOME. TO VIEW THE FULL LISTING, CLICK HERE.