Skip to main content

Man Shot After Raising Gun at Oswego Police Remains Hospitalized

Sep 15, 2015 08:10PM ● Published by Steven Jack

The man who raised a gun at Oswego Police late last month and was subsequently shot by officers remains hospitalized, and still has not be charged with a crime nor is in police custody.

Oswego Police Chief Jeff Burgner said Tuesday Taylor Cano, 24, of the 100 block of Ashlawn, will not likely be charged until he is released from the hospital. Police also are no longer stationed at the hospital, but check his status on a regular basis, Burgner said.

Cano was shot by Oswego Police officers in the early morning hours of Saturday, Aug. 29. He had called police several times at about 12:15 a.m. stating there would be a "massacre" in Oswego and that he would harm anyone who came to the home to help him, police have said.

"When we get word that he's releasable we will move forward with any charges that the Kendall County State's Attorney will approve," Burgner said. 

Both the Oswego Police and Illinois State Police have not finished their investigations, but Burgner said he hopes to have the results of the ISP report within the next week or so. The state police are investigating the shots fired by the officers, while the OPD is investigation everything that led to the shooting. 

When asked if police would release the 911 tapes surrounding the incident, Burgner declined, citing the ongoing investigation. 

"I will have no problem making them available at the conclusion of the investigation," he said.

As for the two officers involved in the shooting, Burgner said they will remain on administrative duty until the conclusion of the ISP investigation. 

"That is our standard operating procedure," he said. 

News, Police & Fire, Police & Fire

It looks like we don't have any events for this date. You can always add an event.

It looks like we don't have any events for this date. You can always add an event.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required